This is a first of several emails to be sent in the next 3 weeks regarding the second dispensary process. It outlines the primary reasons why the city should issue the Request for Proposal (RFP).
Sonoma City Council
No. 1 The Plaza
Sonoma, CA 95476
January 5, 2023
Re: Placing Second Cannabis Dispensary on Agenda
Dear Mayor Lowe, Vice Mayor Gurney and Council Members,
On behalf of the Sonoma Valley Cannabis Group, we are writing once again to communicate our strong interest in the process to permit a second cannabis dispensary. In support of that, we offer the following:
1) According to city records, in its first 8 months of operation, Sparc’s gross receipts amount to $2,894,355.41, from which the city of Sonoma received $115,774.22 in Cannabis Business Tax.
2) Sparc has incurred no negative impacts on the safety, health and welfare of Valley citizens.
3) Sparc has had ample time to establish itself as a viable business. Assuming the city issues the RFP for a second dispensary in the first quarter of 2023, that store may not open until the first quarter of 2024, by which time Sparc will have been in operation a full two years.
4) Sonoma’s cannabis consultant HdL noted that the city could support two retailers.1
5) The city council understands that permitting a wide variety of retail stores in Sonoma attracts both locals and visitors. The city council has never restricted an individual or group from opening a retail shop in any business category, whether it’s pharmacies, groceries, clothing or book stores.
Understanding that city staff has already generated the RFP and the associated documents, we respectfully request that the city council, at the earliest possible time, place an item on the Agenda to consider, discuss and act to begin the Request for Proposal Process.
Please feel free to contact us with any questions you may have and we thank you for your time and attention.
SVCG Executive/Policy Committee
1HdL Companies (August 21, 2018), “Elections Code Section 9212 Report Regarding an Initiative Measure to Permit Personal Cannabis Cultivation and Commercial Cannabis Businesses within the City of Sonoma”, City of Sonoma Agenda Item Summary.